28 February 2009

Onwards and upwards.

I'm aiming to increase my long weekend runs each week, hopefully peaking at around 18 - 20 miles by mid May. I need to bump up the milage pretty dramatically, mainly because I've entered the 'Picnic' Marathon' http://www.trionium.com/picnic/ which takes place on June 20th and is described as the toughest marathon in the UK! So I'll have to be getting in plenty of long, hilly, cross-country runs over the next few months.
Today I set off on a run from home at about 10-ish and planned to head out to the Devil's Jumps via Bourne Woods and Frensham Common and then return across Hankley Common, through Tilford village and back via the footpath that runs past the witches cave.
I decided to pretty much make up the route as I went along and use my GPS to keep track of the milage and hope to run about 14 or 15 miles. It wasn't a particularly pleasant day, with grey skies and a chilly wind blowing but I plodded on for mile after mile up some pretty challenging hills followed by yet more challenging hills; eventually coming onto Hankley Common . The Army were there in force and at one point I had to run through one of their ambush exercises. They were busy shooting at each other (I hope they were firing blanks!) but were ordered to cease fire by one of the NCOs to let me run past before resuming the fire-fight. Never a dull moment on my training runs!
Another highlight of the run was the sighting of some new cows in the field near to the witches cave. Don't know what breed they are but they looked pretty cute so I stopped to take a couple of photos.

The 'cow photo stop' was quite welcome as I'd run about 11 miles at that stage and the brief stop gave me a chance to stretch a bit and have a drink. And so,refreshed, I carried on for about another 3 miles, making an overall distance of 14 miles.

Next weekend should be interesting as I've inadvertantly entered two races in succession; the G3 10k on Saturday and the Leith Hill Half Marathon on Sunday. Guess I should give the running a rest on Thursday and Friday but we'll see!

No comments:

Jackson

Jackson