11 May 2009

North Downs Way 23 Miler

With the Picnic Marathon looming on the horizon I decided it was time to test myself on a longer run of 20 miles plus, and what better test than to have another go at a stretch of the North Downs Way path which runs from Dorking to Farnham, a distance of 23.5 miles. So I packed my rucksack with energy bars and a couple of bottles of water, made up a new playlist for the i-pod and set off on bright, sunny Saturday morning. I got a lift to Guildford station from where I caught the 8:48am train to Dorking Deepdene. After a very relaxing 15 minute train ride I was strolling up the London Road out of Dorking and after about a mile I was at the point where I could pick up the North Downs Way. So I started the stopwatch, switched on my i-pod and to the sound of Lykke Li's 'I'm Good, I'm Gone' I set off up the path leading to the top of the North Downs.
After a few miles I was to encounter the first of many groups of teenagers out on a days hike, carrying large rucksacks and bedrolls. It must have been a Duke of Edinburgh Awards day or something. As for my rucksack, it was getting a bit annoying. I had a water bottle jammed into the bottle holder at the side of the pack and I'd stuffed another one into the main compartment for later. Unfortunately it was soon bouncing around the inside of the bag and banging into the small of my back with every step I took. So I retrieved it from inside my rucksack and opted to carry it the rest of the way. The leg from Dorking to Newland's corner is about 8 or nine miles and seemed to go on forever but the occasional view across to Leith Hill made it less monotonous. Once I'd passed the cafe at Newland's corner and countless more groups of young D of E hikers, I dropped down into the valley and immediately up a sandy path to St Martha on the Hill, a church which stands on the top of a wooded hill with fantastic views across Surrey. From there it was mainly downhill to Guildford and after crossing the River Wey I was soon heading out towards the village of Puttenham. This was to be the fourth time that I'd attempted this run and on the past three times I'd always taken over 5 hours to get back to Farnham. So I was keen to get below 5 hours for the first time. As I jogged through Puttenham I realised that I was making good time and providing I kept running and didn't slow too much, I'd get in under my target time. So I munched on an energy bar (the first of the run) and battled on. By now I was starting to feel a bit achey. I wasn't so much tired but my back was getting a bit stiff and my hips were aching a bit too. As I approached Farnham Golf Course I stopped briefly for a stretch to loosen my back up a bit. That seemed to help somewhat and I was soon back on my way and with just two miles to run I knew that I was definitely going to get back within the 5 hour limit I'd set myself. As it was , I completed the run in 4 hours 49 minutes. The next time I'm aiming for a sub 4 hours 30 which I think is do-able.

No comments:

Jackson

Jackson