18 May 2009

Drenched...

I'm keeping up the regular weekday runs which are between 4 and 6 miles daily but trying to get out on a long-ish run every weekend. This Sunday I set off with Jenny for a circuit of Hankley Common and then ran home via Frensham Pond, Bourne Woods and the North Downs Way. And it absolutely poured with rain for the first hour and a half. I was completely soaked and was past caring about getting any wetter so enjoyed myself splashing through the middle of the deepest, muddiest puddles I could find!
I'd more or less resigned myself to running the whole way in the rain but the sun did come out eventually and I started to dry off and warm up a bit as I crossed Frensham Common.
After 10 miles or so I was running along the Tilford Reeds bridleway when I heard voices behind me about 200m back. I realised that the voices were undoubtedly those of the 'Farnham Runners' out on their regular Sunday club run. I didn't want to be overtaken by them so upped my pace a bit. After a few minutes I could tell that they were still behind me but not gaining on me any more. By now the competitive streak was coming out in me so I upped my pace a bit more and the voices soon drifted off into the distance. And that was the last I heard from the Farnham Runners! The rest of the run went okay and I managed to get home in under two and a half hours. Total distance was 14.3 miles.
Unfortunately our central heating boiler was broken so I was forced to have a post- run cold bath! Brrrrr! Good for getting rid of the lactic acid though (so I'm told) and sure enough I was free of aching muscles this morning so maybe it does work.

No comments:

Jackson

Jackson