18 July 2009

Gibbet Hill 10k

It was off to Haslemere last week for another go at the Gibbet Hill 10k race which, as the name suggests, is a hilly course starting in Wey Hill and climbing to the top of Gibett Hill and back down again. I was joined for the race by James and his mate Tom, who was doing his first race having only started running a couple of weeks beforehand.
I was aiming to try to beat my record of 49'21", which I'd set two years ago.
It's a pretty informal race but with a high percentage of local running club members taking part it can be quite competetive. And so it was a short walk to the start, a few words from the starter and we were off.
The first mile or so took us along a quiet road which climbed out of the residential area and into the countryside before a marshall signalled for us to turn onto a bridleway and the start of a serious climb to the viewpoint at the top of Gibett Hill. By this time I'd left James and Tom to their own race and tried to make my way through the field of runners, many of whom had started at a strong pace but were struggling with the climb through the forest.
The top of the climb came at about three and a half miles after which the next mile and a half was pretty flat. As I approached the final mile back down to the finish I noted that I'd been running for just over 40 minutes and was in with a very good chance of beating my pb. So I pushed hard and virtually spinted down the road towards the finish. Somehow the last mile and a bit took over 8 minutes but I still managed to cross the finish line having knocked 50 seconds off my pb. Job done.

No comments:

Jackson

Jackson